Here I am in your midst...

Here I am in your midst...

MARK 6:7-13

MARK 6:7-13
Jesus summoned the Twelve and began to send them out two by two
and gave them authority over unclean spirits.
He instructed them to take nothing for the journey but a walking stick
–no food, no sack, no money in their belts.
They were, however, to wear sandals but not a second tunic.
He said to them,
“Wherever you enter a house, stay there until you leave from there.
Whatever place does not welcome you or listen to you,
leave there and shake the dust off your feet
in testimony against them.”
So they went off and preached repentance.
The Twelve drove out many demons,
and they anointed with oil many who were sick and cured them.

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Looking for Love

If we need evidence that we are social beings looking for relationships...
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
If we need evidence that we are a people looking for love, affirmation, and acceptance...
Likes
Comments
Followers
If we need evidence that our hearts desire salvation and mercy...
#supportFrance
#GivingTuesday
#beatcancer

Why are we so moved by acts of kindness? Why are we so touched by the generosity of others? What is so inspiring about selfless acts of love?

Love is who we are. If we are created in the image and likeness of God, and God is love, these images reflect truth. They reflect the deeper meaning of our identity that we will never fully understand. And it is in these moments that we become who we truly are.
2 Corinthian 4:7
"But we hold this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing power may be of God and not from us."

This is why we crave social media. The attention, the affirmation, the admiration of others is an addiction born from a depravity of love. We want to be loved. Because we were made by God, who is love.

The truth is that God is already loving you. He loved you before you were even made.
Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you."
And he loves you unconditionally. No matter what you've done. No matter what mistakes you made today, last month, last decade... He loves you. He loves with a love that we cannot even comprehend. And we can spend all the time we want on social media looking for it. But we'll never find it.

I took social media out of my life.
Matthew 5:30
"And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off."
I look at it from time to time. But I found my only motivation for looking at it was to see what other people were doing and want it. Or to post something about myself to gain admiration for it. And I struggle with love. I struggle to accept the unfailing, unshaking, unchanging love that God has for me. And the use of social media (no matter how much I try to justify it or use it for good) always leads me back into my struggle with love.

God has won the battle of love for me. I am already being loved, with a love that surpasses my own understanding. I don't have to find it. It is already there, waiting for me to receive it.



No comments:

Post a Comment